Jerk infestation

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
CES99
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 03:05
Contact:

Jerk infestation

Postby CES99 » 21 Feb 2014, 03:25

Forgive me if this has already been discussed on here, but I just got back into the M2 community after being on Mariusnet years ago. It strikes me that
the reason why new players may rarely come to play M2 is the horrible way they're treated in games on GOS. I understand there's
a huge barrier to getting ahold of, installing and updating a game made in 1998, but any new player who gets to the point of going online for some multiplayer is greeted with
a cadre of completely immature babies. There's maybe a handful of players on GOS that spend most of their time being horrible losers and even worse winners. And they seem to always be online. They claim the "game cheats" or that the winner was just "lucky," and then they drop when they're losing. And they rub it in everyone's face if they win one single game. If they're put on a team, they just complain that everyone else doesn't know how to play. Worse, they scare off new players by relentlessly badmouthing them for learning how to play. It's embarrassing really. I've only seen people act this ridiculous while watching my 13 year old nephew play Call of Duty on his xbox. It seems as though GOS is infested. I'm not saying we should all show good sportsmanship every game or anything, but there's people on here who act like being really really good at M2 somehow gives them the right to be complete jerks to everyone else. Do they not understand that winning at video games is basically losing at life? Are they going around and high fiving their single (I'm assuming) friends and telling them how great they played that last online pc game from the 90s? There's no street cred for M2. None. It does not carry over into real life. Why pretend that there is? Are they making up for some other inadequacies? I know I'm rambling, but occasionally in conversation these users reveal their age. It's shocking how old some of these people are compared to how they act. Has it always been this way?

I expect a bunch of people to reply asking me to come out and name names, but I think everyone on the forum and on GOS already knows who these poor sports are. Hell, just browse the forums here to see people tearing each other down just for speaking their minds. It's basically the same people you try to avoid on GOS. It would be nice if there were a voting feature coded into M2 to allow players in game lobbies to vote to boot other users, but with the GOS guest user system as it is, I doubt there's anything that can be done. Am I the only one that see's things this way?

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 03:30

the game has always been like this

and rawr is a moron, pay him no attention

most players are just joking around, however there are some like rawr who are very serious about these types of things.
i think it has to do with his obsession with dragonball z

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 21 Feb 2014, 03:58

CES99 wrote:It's shocking how old some of these people are compared to how they act.

Yes, it is. Maybe they're lying about their ages :P

>It would be nice if there were a voting feature coded into M2 to allow players in game lobbies to vote to boot other users

Well, the host/autohost can boot...and punkuser has talked about implementing a .wank (that I think will be IP-based?), which he says he'll prioritize higher if enough people feel it's needed.

I wonder about the people that go ballistic and get abusive when someone plays badly (like a useless sacrificial rush early in LMOTH or something). They probably drive some people away who are just untrained/inexperienced. For anyone that wants the game to survive, when someone's below your standard of who you can have fun playing with, either explain better strategy to them, or point them to articles on learning better strategy, or write an article on strategy (I'm compiling some here http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides and elsewhere on the wiki)

>with the GOS guest user system as it is

Some of us feel registration should be required. Even if someone keeps making alternate accounts, at least there'd be easy handles to track them by, PM them by, and maybe eventually know all the IPs they use. Punkuser seems committed to keeping registration optional and says we can move to registered-only rooms. I suppose if enough of us actually did that, the "reasonable" people would follow...unless they're too new to realize there are other rooms, and that they must register to join them.

User avatar
BIG KROK V8 SS
Posts: 1662
Joined: 06 Jun 2013, 04:29
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby BIG KROK V8 SS » 21 Feb 2014, 04:02

So um, you do realize that no actual "Jerks" even play Myth anymore? Pretty sure you'd be shitting yourself if the Coons showed up one night in the future.

vinylrake
Posts: 83
Joined: 05 May 2013, 02:02
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby vinylrake » 21 Feb 2014, 04:39

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:So um, you do realize that no actual "Jerks" even play Myth anymore? Pretty sure you'd be shitting yourself if the Coons showed up one night in the future.


Right... because a handful of [fill-in-the-blank]s who can claim to play a 15+ year old computer game better than the rest of a tiny gaming community would be a reason for someone to shit themselves... why?

Talk about confusing Myth with real life.

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby punkUser » 21 Feb 2014, 05:56

Yeah, there have always been and always will be poor sports and trolls. That's just life. At this point trying to police it would be doing the community as a whole a disservice since people are here for different reasons. If you don't want to play with guests, that's why there are registered-only rooms. If closing/PWding games and such is not good enough and it's just a few folks ruining it, I can increase the priority of implementing a wank-like feature, but normally after getting booted a few times people get a bit bored of it anyways.

jason_ac wrote:unless they're too new to realize there are other rooms, and that they must register to join them.

They have to realize it to move from Madrigal to Eblis Stone anyways... there used to be an argument that they couldn't even *see* the other rooms, but an update a few months ago changed that. They can now see the other rooms and that there are people in them, etc. but if they try and join one they'll get the blue bar telling them guests can't join those rooms and where to register.

I don't think it's reasonable to make an argument that this is at all confusing to anyone who is able to operate a computer in 2014.

argos
Posts: 101
Joined: 24 Aug 2013, 18:54
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby argos » 21 Feb 2014, 08:34

Unfortunately and fortunately, the internet is a place where people are generally allowed to be free with what they say and how they act. It's like the wild west. This is the last truly free arena left in the world and you can't put a cap on it with what you want. It's like trying to change the world to make it exactly how you want it. You're free to try, but... the more you tell people to act a certain way, the less they will follow, because your word only holds as much weight as people think it does, and if you just yell at people to be "better" (your definition) they won't pay any attention to you. Myth is admittedly a rough atmosphere and there is a lot of shit-talking. If you can't take that or become outraged I'm sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. We all talk a little shit to each other and we manage to play some pretty awesome games. It's all in good fun. More new players show up all the time and I don't see them going away. Myth is such an unforgiving game that constantly getting owned by others will probably drive you away more than words ever will.

You've got to learn to roll with the punches and take the shit people dish out to you. If you cry about trivial things and DEMAND respect from everyone, no one will give it to you. Don't come on Myth outraged, demanding some high standard of moral decency when no one even knows who you are. No one will care that much because people just want to play games and have fun. We've been doing just that long before your demand for a moral reform came about.

Paris is right, the game has always been like this, even during the hallowed days of Bungie Net, when everything was supposedly perfect. Again, it's all in good fun. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the fire.

drunken_deer
Posts: 640
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 05:49
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby drunken_deer » 21 Feb 2014, 11:32

you have to have people online to call it an infestation, usually there are less than 10 on.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 12:49

punkUser wrote:They can now see the other rooms and that there are people in them, etc. but if they try and join one they'll get the blue bar telling them guests can't join those rooms and where to register.


that is a good use of bluebar


honestly the changing of the rooms in myth 2 is so archaic for video game multiplayer servers, there is literally nothing that flashes or signifies that you can even change the rooms and the up/down arrow symbol isn't exactly saying "click and hold me down"



myth 2 had a bunch of assholes, warcraft 3 had a bunch of assholes, xbox live, et al. when one can hide behind a digital web they feel "protected", add an antisocial personality disorder in there (perfect for mplayer video games, you don't actually have to 'deal' with people) and you have the phenomenon that is the darkside of internet gaming

NewMutator
Posts: 494
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 02:37
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby NewMutator » 21 Feb 2014, 13:46

Hahaha is it time we implement a reputation system?

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 21 Feb 2014, 14:46

punkUser wrote:They have to realize it to move from Madrigal to Eblis Stone anyways...

Everyone has to? I don't remember ever changing rooms :P

>"I don't think it's reasonable to make an argument that this is at all confusing to anyone who is able to operate a computer in 2014."

Ehhhh...unfamiliar interfaces have the potential to confuse anyone. Especially impatient people, or ones who don't read instructions. There is little about the interface...and certainly nothing "standard"...that indicates a room-changing function. Those small gray arrows don't stand out, particularly against the backgrounds sometimes. And people have gotten used to well-designed interfaces that follow certain conventions, including expecting that all "controls" stand out fairly boldly. I'd rather just a pushbutton "Change rooms".

argos wrote:the game has always been like this, even during the hallowed days of Bungie Net

The ratios of a-hole to normal person were better.

User avatar
BIG KROK V8 SS
Posts: 1662
Joined: 06 Jun 2013, 04:29
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby BIG KROK V8 SS » 21 Feb 2014, 14:55

vinylrake wrote:I single handedly got everyone on marius to switch to a whole new server because I'm such a raging idiot as an admin.



LOL MATT GODDARD

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 15:04

jason_ac wrote:
argos wrote:the game has always been like this, even during the hallowed days of Bungie Net

The ratios of a-hole to normal person were better.



lol how would you know if you never changed rooms?

all of the assholes used to play in ranked, all of the nice peoples used to play in unranked

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby rawr » 21 Feb 2014, 15:17

Lmfao par you still mad about the little bashing we got into the other day i see? 99.9 percent of the time I'm bashing people I'm playing around. It's trash talk, it makes the game fun. Never take me serious . The next day were laughin in games , I think it makes the game more fun . Everyone who knows me in the myth community knows I'm a cool neutral Mexican cat. At the end of the day I'm just tryin to get some myth games just like everyone else and get my fix. You guys need to fix your vaginas and put some penis' on because all I smell is pussy up in here! Bahahaha see you in tws beeyatches! Paris your going down ese! WTC foreva! And p.s. I see you stacking cuz you scared homie !

vinylrake
Posts: 83
Joined: 05 May 2013, 02:02
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby vinylrake » 21 Feb 2014, 15:23

Krok - It's so sad to see you still trying to rewrite history to match your delusions. Sadder still that you even care.

I hope once Obamacare is in place you'll finally be able to afford some medication to help you address some of your more serious issues.

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 21 Feb 2014, 15:44

par73 wrote:lol how would you know if you never changed rooms?
all of the assholes used to play in ranked, all of the nice peoples used to play in unranked

You misunderstand me.

I don't think I've ever changed rooms in *GoS*

Back in bnet days I played ranked and definitely saw less assholery, and in the forums. Maybe it was worse at the higher ranks I didn't get to?

shinco
Posts: 130
Joined: 04 Dec 2012, 02:02
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby shinco » 21 Feb 2014, 16:25

jason_ac wrote:
par73 wrote:lol how would you know if you never changed rooms?
all of the assholes used to play in ranked, all of the nice peoples used to play in unranked

You misunderstand me.

I don't think I've ever changed rooms in *GoS*

Back in bnet days I played ranked and definitely saw less assholery, and in the forums. Maybe it was worse at the higher ranks I didn't get to?



It's because, yes, there were a lot of assholes on Bungie, but there were so many players that it wasn't as much of a % of the total population. If some assholes were well... assholes, you could leave the game or even the room. Now you don't have a choice. You put up with them or log off.

shinco

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 16:40

everyone who is on in the morning (for me) is friendly. mostly because they are euro's or aussie/nz

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 16:41

rawr wrote:Lmfao par you still mad about the little bashing we got into the other day i see? 99.9 percent of the time I'm bashing people I'm playing around. It's trash talk, it makes the game fun. Never take me serious . The next day were laughin in games , I think it makes the game more fun . Everyone who knows me in the myth community knows I'm a cool neutral Mexican cat. At the end of the day I'm just tryin to get some myth games just like everyone else and get my fix. You guys need to fix your vaginas and put some penis' on because all I smell is pussy up in here! Bahahaha see you in tws beeyatches! Paris your going down ese! WTC foreva! And p.s. I see you stacking cuz you scared homie !



is that what you did with your vagina? you put some penis on?

:D

Pogue
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 16:26
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby Pogue » 21 Feb 2014, 17:24

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:
vinylrake wrote:I single handedly got everyone on marius to switch to a whole new server because I'm such a raging idiot as an admin.



LOL MATT GODDARD


LOL HOW MANY POUNDS HAS SUE PUT ON SINCE YOU WERE ADMIN?

par73 wrote:
jason_ac wrote:
argos wrote:the game has always been like this, even during the hallowed days of Bungie Net

The ratios of a-hole to normal person were better.



lol how would you know if you never changed rooms?

all of the assholes used to play in ranked, all of the nice peoples used to play in unranked


So true. The people who still play that all the noobs call assholes aren't assholes. They're just old and jaded players that want a decent game and get pissed off that a noob host won't listen to their suggestion that, "no, 2t ghol riot is a bad idea." Most noobs I've encountered in the last 8 years don't want to learn or try to integrate into the community.

CES99
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 03:05
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby CES99 » 21 Feb 2014, 18:37

I think the responses to my OP pretty much mirrors how I described the community as it currently stands. If you look at the replies in this thread, there are a group of people that characterize this issue as a problem because the ratio of antagonistic players to regular players has changed as a result of the shrinking size of the community. On the other hand, most if not all of the players that replied defending the insufferable behavior are the exact players that most of us avoid playing with. This smaller group tries to define the situation as one in which the rest of us justdon't understand or can't appreciate "shit-talking." The issue isn't shit-talking or posturing, the issue is that these players are genuinely bad apples. They are poor winners and losers, to the extent that they ruin games by dropping in the middle when they're upset about how they're playing. Or they're suiciding and crippling the rest of their team because they're upset about the trade or the cap. These players ruin the experience for many of us, and they almost certainly prevent new players from enjoying the game. It's not that new players don't want to learn, it's that they're punished for making the slightest mistakes. And they don't even get an explanation for why what they did was wrong. Saying, "That's just the way it is" is a way to justify objectively bad behavior so that one doesn't have to make any changes. I'm not saying we should all be friends and sing Kumbayah to each other, I'm just expecting that at the very least players see games through without sabotage or without crying about how their dorf bottle didn't explode so they are really the "true" winners even though they lost, or that anyone who beats them is just completely lucky EVERY TIME. I know, I should just avoid playing with these people if it upsets me, but I think it's a larger issue within the community in that there are bad apples that everyone knows about but can't do anything about.

I for one like the idea of coding a vote-to-boot option into non auto-hosted games in M2. Is there a way to submit feedback or post a poll to at least get a vote on where people stand on this?

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby punkUser » 21 Feb 2014, 19:27

CES99 wrote:I for one like the idea of coding a vote-to-boot option into non auto-hosted games in M2. Is there a way to submit feedback or post a poll to at least get a vote on where people stand on this?

Myth games are player hosted, so vote-to-boot doesn't make sense. The host is in charge so if you want control over who is playing, host a game.

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 21 Feb 2014, 19:31

CES99 wrote:The issue isn't shit-talking or posturing, the issue is that these players are genuinely bad apples. They are poor winners and losers

Yes. Going ballistic, raging abuse at people, and saying "you're a piece of shit fucking idiot" isn't shit-talking. It's just being an unpleasant asshole.

>"I for one like the idea of coding a vote-to-boot option into non auto-hosted games in M2. Is there a way to submit feedback or post a poll to at least get a vote on where people stand on this?"

Why not just host yourself, and boot anyone that makes the play environment not fun? You could also post a suggestion for the next Myth update at The Tain (http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/), where a lot of these suggestions for Myth go (since it's associated with the Project Magma volunteer devs). Other people who want the same thing may pile on to your thread.

CES99
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 03:05
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby CES99 » 21 Feb 2014, 19:41

Good point jason and punkuser. I realize I can host my own games, but I'm trying to get at the larger issue of users who ruin the experience for many of us in-game as well. When they get booted from one game, they go on into someone else's game only to cause trouble there as well. It's even worse in auto-hosted games since there's no one to moderate. I like the .wank ip ban idea, and I hope it gets implemented.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 19:45

CES99 wrote:
I for one like the idea of coding a vote-to-boot option into non auto-hosted games in M2. Is there a way to submit feedback or post a poll to at least get a vote on where people stand on this?


yeah you send the host a private message and ask them to boot the offender

kinda difficult for the offender to find another game to play since there is usually only 1 host with people in it these days

CES99 wrote:I'm not saying we should all be friends and sing Kumbayah to each other, I'm just expecting that at the very least players see games through without sabotage or without crying about how their dorf bottle didn't explode so they are really the "true" winners even though they lost, or that anyone who beats them is just completely lucky EVERY TIME. I know, I should just avoid playing with these people if it upsets me, but I think it's a larger issue within the community in that there are bad apples that everyone knows about but can't do anything about.



seems like it's a larger issue in regards to their mental health lol

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby rawr » 21 Feb 2014, 19:56

i agree with ces to some point, as far as it is annoying when you have players who drop the game simply cuz there getting raped or suiciding busting a kirk. Thats annoying. I definitely do not participate in those behaviors. I am not no angel and it is quite frustrating playing with players of less skill , especially when your playing a ffa and you have players totally not playing the game type, i mean for christ sake i hosted a gimble ctf game the other day and they dont even know what flags fight which flags.. Thats when rage will come out of me and ill just change the game to BC. So i can atleast get rewarded for being rushed on koth or backdoored by somebody who im not even attacking. If im popping off on you dont be a girl about it, approach me in the game that you dont appreciate it and you certainly wont hear it from me again. Honestly the game skill on this game has gone very far down and we cant even get good 2t games going anymore. The only thing we can hope for now days is some decently played FFA but that even seems hard to come by these days. I have to disagree with ces on how he states that were ruining experiences for new mythers. I honestly say i play 90 percent of my games on my host and my host is always packed with new unskilled players who are having a good time. This post is quite BS in my opinion, but hey thats just my opinion. im done

adrenaline
Posts: 1660
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:38
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby adrenaline » 21 Feb 2014, 20:25

rawr wrote:I honestly say i play 90 percent of my games on my host and my host is always packed with new unskilled players because no actual skilled players are dumb enough to play on my piece of shit host

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 20:41

rawr wrote:I am not no angel



heheh


honestly if players are tired of getting beat down by jerks that should be motivation to get better and make them eat their own shit (while being polite)

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby rawr » 21 Feb 2014, 21:01

I agree with paris and thats why argos made WTC for TWS . He was one of those players i got mad at. BUt hey i have seeing progress in him lately and look now hes playing for WTC in TWS, how amazing is that. All this post is about is a bunch of complaining that doesnt need to be taken place here and could be handled online ! I think shit talking creates good players like argos, more good players we can create the more fun we can have online.

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 21 Feb 2014, 21:09

par73 wrote:honestly if players are tired of getting beat down by jerks that should be motivation to get better and make them eat their own shit (while being polite)

Playing with unpleasant assholes is less enjoyable, no matter whether you're winning or losing. If that's the only game a person can find, they may well leave and try again later. And eventually leave and not come back because they can't find a non-asshole game.

rawr wrote:i hosted a gimble ctf game the other day and they dont even know what flags fight which flags..

If they don't know, teach them, or tell them where to read good advice. If they don't care...boot them?

CES99 wrote:It's even worse in auto-hosted games since there's no one to moderate.

Although one of the autohosts names itself something like "managed autohost", whatever that means. Sometimes I check on my autohost frequently when I hear the game end, and I have booted people.

CES99
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 03:05
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby CES99 » 21 Feb 2014, 21:28

jason_ac wrote:
par73 wrote:honestly if players are tired of getting beat down by jerks that should be motivation to get better and make them eat their own shit (while being polite)

Playing with unpleasant assholes is less enjoyable, no matter whether you're winning or losing. If that's the only game a person can find, they may well leave and try again later. And eventually leave and not come back because they can't find a non-asshole game.

rawr wrote:i hosted a gimble ctf game the other day and they dont even know what flags fight which flags..

If they don't know, teach them, or tell them where to read good advice. If they don't care...boot them?

CES99 wrote:It's even worse in auto-hosted games since there's no one to moderate.

Although one of the autohosts names itself something like "managed autohost", whatever that means. Sometimes I check on my autohost frequently when I hear the game end, and I have booted people.


I agree with all of these points. And I disagree w/rawr that this isn't the place to have this debate. Isn't this a community forum for discussion? What good would it do to point out how offensive a player is to 5 people in a single game lobby? This is a community issue. And no, saying that this is "just a bunch of complaining" is just you trying to reframe the issue as my problem alone rather than an endemic issue within the community. Judging by other posts in this thread, there is clearly support for the notion that there are players who are poisoning the game for other players.

I also want to point out, as an example, that getting angry at players for "not knowing which flags fight which flags" is just arbitrary BS rule-making. It's Capture the Flag, not "capture the flag only to your west or south, or whatever." There's nothing against the rules about going after a different flag that's not right next to yours. Sure, you'll probably lose your own flag quickly, but it's a perfectly valid strategy that may pay off for some more skilled players.

This belief that treating people like shit will make them better players and enjoy the community more is nonsense. It's the kind of logic a 13 year old would use to justify being a bully. And really, that's what we're talking about here: insecure bullies that mess up the community for everyone else while at the same time claiming that their behavior has no consequences. We all put up with it, but we shouldn't have to.

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby rawr » 21 Feb 2014, 22:09

Ces99 when your in my host or if were playing in the same game, I'll make sure to be in my best behavior , just for you boo boo :D

CES99
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 03:05
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby CES99 » 21 Feb 2014, 22:15

rawr wrote:Ces99 when your in my host or if were playing in the same game, I'll make sure to be in my best behavior , just for you boo boo :D


That will happen when you learn to spell "you're" and "we're" correctly :) I have now officially stooped to the level I was trying to avoid.

Pogue
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 16:26
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby Pogue » 21 Feb 2014, 22:28

This thread is pretty much started every year by some noob that comes to community....and the same thing happens: nothing. Sad but true, but hey thanks for making a 4 page thread!

par73 wrote:
honestly if players are tired of getting beat down by jerks that should be motivation to get better and make them eat their own shit (while being polite)


+1. Grow a pair people, get some Zyzz in you, and rape day a nig.

par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 21 Feb 2014, 22:36

CES99 wrote:I also want to point out, as an example, that getting angry at players for "not knowing which flags fight which flags" is just arbitrary BS rule-making. It's Capture the Flag, not "capture the flag only to your west or south, or whatever." There's nothing against the rules about going after a different flag that's not right next to yours. Sure, you'll probably lose your own flag quickly, but it's a perfectly valid strategy that may pay off for some more skilled players.



if you're referring to gimble CTF, that is the traditional way to play (made by gru [not exactly a skilled bunch of players])

traditionally it's supposed to be 3 1v1's, and then a ffa for the rest.


also that strategy is pretty stupid because more skilled players are likely to get back to their flag, then get doubled, and you let the player you were supposed to fight keep his full army (which they then use to clean up the entire map in the end game). then call you out as the asshole who gave up his flag, "ruin the game" for them and slut rush you the next 10 games. players used to jump on dummy accounts just to do shit like that honestly, 'just to be a jerk'. I would not claim it is a valid strategy for winning a game of CTF at all.


therefore, if you're going across the map to capture someone else's flag who is fighting someone else, you're technically being a JERK

fairly ironic for the point you are raising

CES99 wrote:This belief that treating people like shit will make them better players and enjoy the community more is nonsense. It's the kind of logic a 13 year old would use to justify being a bully. And really, that's what we're talking about here: insecure bullies that mess up the community for everyone else while at the same time claiming that their behavior has no consequences. We all put up with it, but we shouldn't have to.


No, it's the belief of standing up for yourself and taking down the bully instead of letting them ruin your fun, loool

rawr
Posts: 252
Joined: 26 Feb 2013, 19:57
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby rawr » 21 Feb 2014, 22:38

owww!!! you got me ces99! Now let me post a thread on how you humilated me over the boards! :( catch my drift? grow a pair!

wwo
Posts: 837
Joined: 13 Dec 2012, 14:35
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby wwo » 21 Feb 2014, 22:43

FFA would be shit without some of the traditional unwritten rules. Yeah, we all know the literal definition of "free for all", but it's not the anarchy that some people (renwood) would like to pretend it is. The whole point of the "rules" is so the gametype chosen has relevance. If all you want to do is BC, then fine, request or host BC. Same thing with KOTH. Yeah, you can attack your neighbor who's trying to fight 3 places at once for the sake of the gametype, but you're the one being the asshole for doing so, not him for railing on your ass in post.

Other than those two gametypes, what else are we talking about here? Leaving your home flag open in FR? That can at least be justified as a viable strategy.

edit: FFA is shit anyway unless skill is equally distributed. The "rules" just make it less shitty. Most of the complaints about these rules come from the bottom branches of the skill tree. I'd rather not have to fight tooth-and-nail every game against paris or adrenaline just to come in 3rd, but I'm not going to fuck over Noob Neighbor #6 for the sake of empty bragging rights.

edit 2: I don't have anyone in particular in mind for any of these examples. Wednesday night was my first games back since last August so don't take any of this personally.

Pogue
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 16:26
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby Pogue » 21 Feb 2014, 23:03

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to play FFA is the Chron Way: touch me and it's hate play time. You're not being a idiot if they fucked you over first, it's just payback, EVERYONE has done it. This is why 2t is the only way to play myth.

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby punkUser » 21 Feb 2014, 23:17

I hate agree with Pogue here... but I do and I think it's a first :)

FFA is just a fun/throw-away mode with the "rules" trying to move it towards anything competitive being ultimately a waste of time and effort. Obviously people are free to implement whatever meta-rules they want on their hosts and I'm all for that, but let's not pretend it makes it into anything particularly competitive. (Cue renwood 3 page post I'm sure...) FFA is fun for dicking around or playing some hyper-active KOTM, but for any serious play I would take even 2v2 over FFA any day.

tl/dr probably best to kick me from your FFA games if you're in serious mode.

As an aside, I seem to remember someone making a map/plugin that formalized the pairings concept of the "you must 1v1 this neighbor!" gimble crowd. That seems somewhat more sensible at least than bitching about how someone plays.

vinylrake
Posts: 83
Joined: 05 May 2013, 02:02
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby vinylrake » 21 Feb 2014, 23:44

Pogukrok, don't you get tired of repeating the same BS all the time? Oh wait - sorry - I forgot who I was talking to. Rhetorical question. Carry on.


par73
Posts: 2974
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 15:33
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby par73 » 22 Feb 2014, 00:15

punkUser wrote:I hate agree with Pogue here... but I do and I think it's a first :)

FFA is just a fun/throw-away mode with the "rules" trying to move it towards anything competitive being ultimately a waste of time and effort. Obviously people are free to implement whatever meta-rules they want on their hosts and I'm all for that, but let's not pretend it makes it into anything particularly competitive. (Cue renwood 3 page post I'm sure...) FFA is fun for dicking around or playing some hyper-active KOTM, but for any serious play I would take even 2v2 over FFA any day.

tl/dr probably best to kick me from your FFA games if you're in serious mode.



Perhaps you never heard of OpOp

makes sense you would take 2v2 over FFA any day for serious play, otherwise your play might be seriously laughed at (dependency)

it's easier to control less units, team play is more casual in that sense imo

rip dean ween

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 22 Feb 2014, 00:34

par73 wrote:if you're referring to gimble CTF, that is the traditional way to play (made by gru [not exactly a skilled bunch of players])

The idea that a player should be abused as a n00b because they didn't go after the flag someone thinks they "should" have gone after is ridiculous. Sure, if you really think some meta-rule makes the game more fun for all, then explain it to them, and maybe they'll decide to try it next time.

>"therefore, if you're going across the map to capture someone else's flag who is fighting someone else, you're technically being a JERK"

Not at all. The guy is playing the objective, capturing flags. Maybe they have a crappy strategy, maybe they don't (depends what the other players are doing), but definitely not a jerk.

>"No, it's the belief of standing up for yourself and taking down the bully instead of letting them ruin your fun, loool"

No, it'll be a while before a new player can bash down the bullies. Perhaps they will never have the skill to do so. Why would they want to hang around and be verbally abused while learning to play the game better? That will remove the enjoyment for many. They'll just go away forever.

jason_ac
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby jason_ac » 22 Feb 2014, 00:35

wwo wrote:Same thing with KOTH. Yeah, you can attack your neighbor who's trying to fight 3 places at once for the sake of the gametype, but you're the one being the asshole for doing so, not him for railing on your ass in post.

Not sure I get you here. Are you talking about not joining into a double-team or triple-team against a neighbor (with terrible luck)? It's war, if for LITTLE unit cost or time spent I can help annihilate someone that later might snipe at me, or contest with me once I've been weakened, why wouldn't I? Gives me a better shot at winning. He's probably not going to be that unlucky too often.

>"FFA is shit anyway unless skill is equally distributed. The "rules" just make it less shitty."

Perhaps someone should post those rules in the forum so new people can know them, and vets and/or newbies can discuss them. I am in favor of things that make the game more fun for all, if they're sensible.

Dantski
Posts: 433
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 16:35
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby Dantski » 22 Feb 2014, 00:51

The reason why Gimble CTF (and virtually any CTF FFA) has become 3 1v1 fights is because CTF (and balls on parade but no-one plays that) is an awful FFA gametype. In other FFA's you can get doubled, or tripled or whatever and retreat and recover, in CTF you simply cannot run away because you have to defend a flag or you're eliminated. Now because CTF gimble is typically a silly game with 3 1v1's I think its totally fine for a weaker player to "be a jerk" since they aren't going to win by playing within the meta, however doing this typically will leave your starting flag open to the person you'd normally fight and since you may have scored an elimination on someone else, you set yourself up to be 2v1'ed.

Pogue
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Nov 2012, 16:26
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby Pogue » 22 Feb 2014, 01:19

vinylrake wrote:Pogukrok, don't you get tired of repeating the same BS all the time? Oh wait - sorry - I forgot who I was talking to. Rhetorical question. Carry on.


Love that you had to edit that post twice to get your point across there Matthew. DerpCity.

punkUser
Posts: 1386
Joined: 16 Nov 2012, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby punkUser » 22 Feb 2014, 01:27

par73 wrote:makes sense you would take 2v2 over FFA any day for serious play, otherwise your play might be seriously laughed at

Weak attempt. I happily take 1v1 over FFA too for "serious" play, but the point was to provide an example with an equal number of players but varied game mode. But I agree in general that people's FFA play is worthy of laughter; as I said, the mode is for lolz (which is totally fine - you don't always have to be in try-hard mode). :D

Like I said, make up all the meta-rules/modes you want and by all means enjoy them but you're not going to convince me that they're anything worth spending time on.

toynbee
Posts: 25
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 18:16
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby toynbee » 22 Feb 2014, 03:25

STFU faggots!


vinylrake
Posts: 83
Joined: 05 May 2013, 02:02
Contact:

Re: Jerk infestation

Postby vinylrake » 22 Feb 2014, 05:35

Pogue wrote:...Love that you had to edit that post twice to get your point across there Matthew. DerpCity.


Nice try, but the reason I had to edit it twice was to dumb it down enough that you would be able to understand my point.


Return to “Eblis Stone”